Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Learning From Jenny

A few weeks ago, I saw Jenny Doh post about her publishing class. I told myself I couldn't afford another class that month. Then I reminded myself that I've had one book deal fall through  and had yet to finalize the two that are under review.. I wondered if there was something that I was missing.

There was..

I remember when I first presented my super secret book idea to the first publisher. I was excited, I had a book outline, I had project instructions.. I didn't have completed samples, I didn't have evidence of it on my blog. It was a secret! I couldn't share it online. What if someone saw it and ran with the idea before I could? What if someone could get it published before I could? What if the publisher thought there would be no reason to create a book of projects that I had already shown the world? What if, what if, what if?? And so I didn't share on my blog. And so I didn't  show evidence of an art that I'm passionate about. And so the book deal was dropped. Maybe the publisher was concerned that I didn't have enough experience. How could they know if I didn't give them reason to believe?

I accept that my worse fears may still come true, but I also believe that unless I take that chance, my art is without purpose. I truly want to inspire others and help break ground on a new genre of mixed media. I hope you will take that journey with me.

So what is at the heart of this secret. my super cool book idea? Well I've become passionate about mixing the art of crochet with quilting and sewing projects. I have researched and developed methods of incorporating the two art forms. Below is a picture of my homework assignment from the fabulous Jenny. It is a quilt square with an appliqued heart and crocheted trim. The crochet is done actually on the quilt square! 


Do you like it? Do you want to learn more? I sure hope so.. This week I'll show to create this project as an adorable Valentine shirt! I hope my tutorial will be something you want to make. I hope you DO make it and show me.. I hope I can get you excited about this...

Whew.. see that wasn't so hard. It's amazing to me that I thought I had truly learned the lesson to create with my hand open. To share, share, share.. And last night I realized my fingers were still slightly clenched.. Thank you Jenny Doh for helping me relax and enjoy this crazy journey..

8 comments:

Ella said...

Jennifer,
You are so giving and talented!
I really hope the book deal goes through! I love your art; I look forward to learning more~ :D

Renee said...

Very brave! Loved your blog entry.

Lydia said...

What a great blog! I love your heart and your writing. I can't wait to start Jenny Doh's homework! Best of luck on your book deal.

Lisa said...

This is good, you put your heart out here for all to see. My very best for this book deal to go through!!!

Heather Foust said...

Yeah you put it out there!! What a love heart you have!! Good luck! Love this idea!

kmore said...

Love the idea of mixing crochet with sewing!!!! Your book will be published, I'm sure of it! You are so talented.

Jenny Rodriguez said...

Thank you everyone!! It was a great experience to write that post..and I can't wait to show more.

Fingers crossed it will be picked up, but if nothing else I hope it inspires someone to try it!

Pansy Cottage Girl said...

Great post, thanks for sharing. Your blog is great!

.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...