Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Only Bad Witches Are Ugly

It's no secret to friends and blog readers that I'm a tad obsessed with Elphaba, the green faced witch. But I also *love* the musical Wicked.. and Glinda.. and well I guess everything related to OZ.

I'm also a HUGE fan of Halloween! Having a whole day to pretend to be something extraordinary, receiving a pillowcase full of candy, and in general causing a raucous - yup, that's my ideal day! I was supposed to be a Halloween baby too..much to my Mom's dismay. My mom does not care too much for Halloween...but she does love Glinda the Good Witch..

Soo... I decided to sass up a pair of Glinda Witchy Boots! It's paper pieced quilted on wood.. Yup!
Here in Utah, we have an amazing wood craft store called The Wood Connection. They always have amazing wood pieces for the season as well as some fabulous year around staples. If you're in Utah, you have to check them out!

To make these fabulous pumps, you'll first want to draw the outline of the wood block on paper. I had to tape 2 pieces together. And be sure to outline both feet. When you paper piece quilt, your final product is a mirror image.
Paint the sides of the wood that will not be covered in fabric.

Decide on the color scheme of the shoes. And well Glinda is all about the pink & flashy silver!

Draw in the details of how you want to quilt the boot. Keep it SIMPLE - this is not the time to learn how to design paper piece quilting.. Check out my sample - super easy 3 parts. Then paper piece quilt it together. Need some help? Check out my tutorial on paper piece quilting here.

Once those are done, adhere to the boots with a fabric glue like Liquid Stitch. Now it's time to decorate those snazzy shoes.

I apologize that I don't have more in depth photos to share. Baby was up screaming from 9pm -4:30am..and I was brain dead when I finished these. So the details are labeled below..

Even if you're not a fan of Halloween or The Wizard Of Oz (gasp!!), you've got to love these Good Witchy Boots...

** ARE YOU LOOKING FOR THE GO! GIVEAWAY POST? CLICK HERE & GOOD LUCK! **

3 comments:

Crafty Mischief said...

These are so cute! I found you through Someday Crafts. Thanks for sharing!

Nikki Monet said...

This is so completely cute!! Very cool shoes :) Newest follower here. Would love it if you would stop by and share this at my linky party going on right now!! http://everything-underthemoon.blogspot.com/2011/10/bedazzle-me-monday-4.html

Thanks mucho!!

Michelle Johnnie said...

Love those shoes!!!!! Love your choice of fabric!

.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...