Thursday, May 5, 2011

American Crafter - Week 1 - Trash to Treasure



For our first week American Crafter, our challenge was "Trash to Treasure". I'm not the biggest recycle crafter, so I thought about some projects that I had been wanting to make. Have you seen eighteen25's Pickle Jar tutorial? Yup, I loved that one. And how about the mason jar planters on Just Another Day in Paradise? Adorable.. So those were my inspiration pieces for this recycle craft.



Here is my Patriotic Focal Feature!




Ain't it sweet?? You can use them as vases like I did, but originally I had planned on using them to hold sparklers and pinwheels. We didn't have any! But totally keep that in mind if you make this - it would be an awesome play station for the 4th of July.



What do you need?

*Glass jars - I used Smucker's jam jars. You could use pasta sauce, pickles, etc..

*White spray paint

*Red,white,blue hobby paint

*Scrap vinyl in red and blue

*Scrap wood pieces



How long do you need?

I did mine in about 2 hours including painting drying time.



What do you do?

*Make sure those glasses are clean and labels removed. I soaked mine in super hot water. Dry them off good and do a couple coats of white spray paint. I just another cute tutorial and they spray painted the inside., with mine I painted the outside. It will take 2-3 light coats to make them really opaque.



*I used some graphics from Silhouette to cut the vinyl, but you could absolutely cut them with an Exacto knife or even use some stickers from the craft store.



*Paint the scrap pieces of wood in red, white, and blue. After they have dried, distress sides with heavy grade sandpaper.



*Enjoy - that's it!



I hope you like my Trash to Treasure tutorial. If you have a moment, I would really appreciate your vote!!

1 comment:

Marcia - Crafty Sewing and Quilting said...

I voted for you! Great recycle. I like patriotic items too!

.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...