Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Thanksgiving Turkey Legs - Sugar Cookies


all things belle - sugar cookie art - thanksgiving turkey legs

It's been a few years since I've enjoyed cookie art. I've had such a desire to paint lately and figured that with the holidays coming that I would put it to an edible use. These are so fun - my kids were going nuts as I made them. And children are exactly who I had in mind for these - a yummy treat during the Thanksgiving season.


For these cookies, I used Sweetopia's Chocolate Sugar Cookie recipe. It is incredibly delicious - an amazing chocolate flavor and smooth cookie bite. This recipe does make quite a bit of cookies, so be prepared for a full bowl of dough.

The cookie cutter for the turkey legs is actually a hot air balloon! I love cutters that can be used in various ways. My friends and I actually came up with quite a long list of what this cutter could be used as.


Now that I have 3 crazy kids corralling me while I'm in the kitchen, I have to be as efficient as possible. Here are my tools ready to go and this is what you will need:

*hot air balloon cookie cutter
*royal icing
*2 icing bags with couplers and size 2 round tips
*2 squeeze bottles
*brown sanding sugar
*2 disposable cups
*spray bottle
*brown icing color



I love this royal icing recipe from Cake Central. It was the perfect amount for these 4 large cookies with a bit left over.


After the frosting is made, I move a small bit into a disposable cup. I tinted it with the tiniest bit of brown to create a nice taupe, bone color. I learned this fabulous trick on Sweet Sugar Belle about placing the frosting in some plastic wrap and placing it all in the icing bag - you have to go check this out. It has changed my life!


After outlining the turkey meat and bone.


Once the outlining is done, it's time to create the flood icing. I spritz the the icing until it has a nice fluid consistency, like syrup, and place into the squeeze bottles. My cups are cracked here because I smash the sides together while pouring the icing out - makes it nice and easy to clean up!


Flood the bone with icing and allow it to dry. I use a long skewer to help gently push the icing around and pop any bubbles that arise.


Then flood the turkey meat area and sprinkle a bit of brown sanding sugar on top.


I guarantee you that these will be a hit! Silly and delicious - just as a sugar cookie should be..

No comments:

.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...