Sunday, May 8, 2011

Sunday Sewing Pattern Reviews - Lovely Ribbon Dress


This week I am reviewing Dear My Kids pattern - Lovely Ribbon Dress. For all of you that know a spring/summer bride, I *highly* recommend that you show them this dress for a flower girl!

My pictures this week do not the show the dress as well as I would like - our photo shoot came off the heels of an afternoon playing in the sprinklers on the freshly mowed lawn..

On to the review and pictures of my spring lovin' pixie!

Description of pattern:
Making a kid's dress has never been so easy!! This lovely dress can turn into your precious ones favorite spring/summer piece.

Level of difficulty:
DMK emphasizes that this dress is not difficult. While none of the elements are difficult, I do think they might frustrate the beginner seamstress. I personally recommend this for an intermediate seamstress, or if you're a determined beginner be sure to try the whole pattern on a muslin sample first.

I was not able to get a real accurate read on the time involved with sewing the dress (my kiddos would not nap this week. So I completed it in 15 minute intervals throughout the week. My best guestimate would be in the ballpark of 2-3 hours because it is completely lined and there is just a bit of hand sewing involved.


Fabric recommendations:
You will want a light to mid weight fabric. I used an ultra silky polyester blend from Joann's Special Occasion line and I lined it with Kona cotton. This was a great combination;it gave the dress a very upscale, fancy appearance and the heavier cotton gives the piece more stability.

Overall Design:
This dress is soo adorable! I really hope someone reads this review and decides to doll up their flower girls with this ensemble!! It is such a tailored and classic dress. I love dresses that are not only beautiful for little girls to wear, but also keep practicality in mind. There is no zipper - just a single button, elastic sleeves for comfort, and a wide skirt for those angels that love to run and jump. The little touches are perfect - pleated bodice, bow, and more.
Instructions:
This the most detailed pattern I think I've come across. Each step is taken slowly with pictures and clear steps.

Pattern Pieces:
It is a PDF pattern, so you will be printing out the pieces. There is only 3 parts that you will have to assemble and DMK provides a pattern map.

Modifications and Tips:
I personally don't make muslins. For all the clothing items I've made from patterns, I've made a single muslin and that was only because it was a vintage pattern that I knew I was going to have to alter. If you make muslins, great - you will be able to figure out the more advanced steps without effecting your final dress. If however you are like me and can't wait to make the dress, I recommend making the liner first. If you make a mistake and have to rip some seams, no one will see it because it is the liner!

I made my style as fancy as I could because it is for our Mother's Day photo shoot. It would also be super cute in a cotton print for everyday use. The bow is removable in case that is not your style - the bodice is pleated so it still looks amazing!


Conclusion:
If you are looking for a graceful dress for your kiddo, this is the one! It is perfect in fancy fabrics for a special occasion and would be just as wonderful in a cotton for play. I do recommend it for an intermediate seamstress or a advanced beginner that is willing to make a muslin first. The dress is very tailored and will require a little more thought in its construction.

Absolutely consider this dress for weddings this spring and summer. Flower girls will look ever so sweet walking down the aisle in this beauty!

**DMK did not compensate me in any way for this review, this is my opinion of the pattern I purchased. I am excited to announce that upon hearing I was going to review the dress, DMK is going to give readers a limited time deal on patterns and a giveaway!! Details will be announced on this post in just a bit.

Next week's I will be reviewing a paper pieced quilting pattern! I'm not a fan of traditional piecing, but I think this technique may be just the thing to turn it around. I'll be working on Artisania's Peeping Owl. I think it's fair to say I'm just slightly in love with this modern block!

***Giveaway and Pattern deal***

For a limited time, DMK is giving readers a Buy 1, Get 1 deal in their etsy shop. This is an awesome deal - there are tons of amazing patterns that I know you would love!! The checkout code is: DMKBOGO

And I'll be picking 3 readers to each receive 1 pattern from the DMK shop. To enter please a comment on this post stating which pattern you would love to win & you must be an All Things Belle blog follower. Giveaway will end next Sunday, the 15th, by midnight (MTN) time.

Good luck!

3 comments:

Rachel said...

I love so many of her patterns. I would love to try to double button coat or the ruffle pinafore dress.

Michelle @ Ten June said...

Those pictures are WAY precious : ) Her curly hair is so gorgeous!!

erica said...

my favorite is probably the dress that you made but the pea coat is pretty cute too.

.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...