Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Results for WOW #4 - Details for #5

For a long time I cringed at Valentine's Day.
No someone didn't break my heart..well no, they did.
I lost my maternal grandmother many years ago on Valentine's Day.
It never seemed right to smile on the day
I lost someone I loved so much.

My sweet husband had plotted to propose to me on Valentine's Day
and then I lowered the boom a couple days before his big plan.
So..we got engaged on February 17th.
A random night when I was looking anything but beautiful.

And then I had my first daughter.
And I love to celebrate above and beyond with her.
I started to let go of my pain connected to the day.
In fact I realized that it was bittersweet.
The day is supposed to be about love, not Hallmark love..
but real love.
Now I embrace the day with those I love
without $80 roses or overpriced dinners.
We only exchange cards and gifts priced less than $5.
It keeps it in perspective.
And it is also a day I remember my grandmother.

So for my WOW #4 - a valentine without traditional red or pink,
I choose to do a quilted wall art piece
My girls drive me nuts some days,
but they DO brighten every single day of my life.

We didn't reach 5 entries yet..but I think we are getting close!

I think this would be adorable done up as an embroidery
or printed on a card.
Super cute - love it!!

A perfect piece for the entry way or living room.
Even in non traditional colors,
it still such a romantic piece!

Thank you ladies!
I hope you enter again this week - and invite those crafty friends!!

Challenge #5
This week I challenge you to:
1. Learn a new technique
2. Include letters in the project.

It can be a cookie, a quilt, digital art, a card, etc.
Anything you create with your hands is eligible!

I hope you push yourself and look for some new technique
you've been waiting to try!!
I can't wait to see what you do!

The prize for this coming week is
Love her modern cards!

Please leave your links on this post by Tuesday at midnight (MTN)

Have fun!

Linked up at the Crafty Chica's Crafty Corazon

8 comments:

Kathleen said...

Your valentine is beautiful. I love the sentiment behind it and the three dimensional aspect of it.

Anonymous said...

What a sweet Valentine's story. HUG!

I LOVE your Valentine. I'll have to keep that in mind for card making! The sewed lines are very interesting! They are visible yet subdued and add an interesting texture. I also like what you named it. :)

I've already got ideas for this week's project! I'm going to go paste a link to your blog right now. Hopefully we can others to join in!

Jenny Rodriguez said...

Thanks ladies! I had fun doing it. I wished I had my Sizzix Big Kick (ordering it this week from Amazon) for the hearts, but I also liked that they were not all the exact same..

Can't wait to see what you make next week!

Kathy said...

I love subway art and decided to give it a try. Here's the link:
http://s59.photobucket.com/albums/g308/utah_kat/Crafts/?action=view&current=SophieSubwayArt.jpg
There are two pictures of it.

Kathleen said...

I tried decoupage. Fun!
http://myworld-kath.blogspot.com/2011/02/box-o-bobbins.html

Anonymous said...

PHEW! Barely making this deadline. My model was having a cranky day today. Both creating and getting pictures of this was a task!

Anyway, here it is! I got a new sewing machine for Christmas that sews a single font of alphabet. Even though it isn't pretty I have been wanting to try it out. I've also been wanting to try making clothes for my little girl. Inspired by the "Dress in a Nap" and the idea of a Valentine's dress, I made this with some stuff I had around the house.

Here is the first of 5 pics that you can scroll through:
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i178/yennifair/Little%20Comforts/IMG_1729.jpg

Anonymous said...

Kathy, I LOVE your subway art! How special!

Anonymous said...

Kathleen, your decoupage box is beautiful! I purchased some Paper Mod Podge a while ago to make paper beads out of the stacks of junk magazines we have received throughout the year. I keep thinking of great projects to make using a decoupage style, but they keep not working out. (Alaska does not have enough of a craft selection for my great ideas!) :) Hehe! You've inspired me to try again! I think I have a few boxes around here that I can decorate?

.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...