Sunday, March 27, 2011

What Is It They Say About A Closed Hand?

At some point in my life I heard or read a quote
basically saying that if your hand is closed, it can not receive.
Makes sense right?

I started my own business in 2004!
Initially I wanted to make all kinds of handcrafted goods to sell on my own website.
I got greedy and started selling mass produced goods instead.
I spent A LOT of money on buying wholesale items.
I lost sight of my goal.
I had wanted to be an artist since I was a child.
I had quickly given my life long dream over
for the idea of more money in my bank.
And I only sank into a deep dark hole of debt.

After I was first married, I started my 2nd business venture,
"Belle Paperie" - a custom stationery store.
It did really awesome while I lived in AZ.
I had tons of clients and lots of money coming in.
But I still didn't get the importance of budgets and
the reality of credit debt.
After we moved to UT and that business dissolved,
I somehow morphed into my current
All Things Belle.

And I love what I do
I love making photography props for babies and toddlers.
I love seeing how adorable they look in pictures
and I take pride in knowing I made it with my own hands.

But honestly I still have been motivated by money.
I have needed money to pay debt
and I needed a way to make money & still be home with my girls.
So every time I came up with some great crafty idea,
my first instinct was to find a way to make it and SELL IT!
I knew lots of blogs with tutorials and freebies,
but I held on to my knowledge.
I felt like I had to make money off anything and everything.
I haven't been happy.

Today for the first time in over a decade..and maybe more
I have no credit debt.
Granted I have money I need to pay back.
But not to a creditor.
Can I tell you how amazing that feels?

And that is why starting this past year
you have seen more tutorials and freebies on my blog.
I no longer feel chained by the neck to my debt
and I WANT to give away everything I know.

I am keeping the store open,
like I said.. I still have bills and loans to pay back.
But you will see a move towards one of a kind items and art,
less photography props & accessories.
Because people, it's been my dream to be an artist.
And thanks to those that love me - I now have that chance.

I hope that you will welcome me on my new path
because it feels like for the first time I am on the right path.

I hope you will find my blog to be generous in ideas, freebies, and more.

Thank you to my readers.
And above all, thank you to my family for helping me find my way.

My hand and heart are open..

6 comments:

lal12166 said...

Love this! Congratulations!!!!

Rachel said...

Congratulations! I wish you well in your new endeavors.

Kathleen said...

Good for you! I knew from the title of the post that I was going to like it. btw, you are already an artist!

Lisa said...

It will be so nice to craft and create just for the love of it....and even if you are not focused on the $ it still may follow. I love the saying, do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life. So true.

Jenny Rodriguez said...

Thanks everyone!!
I wasn't sure if I should have posted this, but I thought it may inspire someone. Granted I couldn't have done this without the help of my family. But moving forwards, it's about learning to believe in myself..which is sometimes easier said/typed than done :o)

Deborah OHare said...

This is a great post and one that I think we can all learn from.
Thank you.
Deborah

.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...