Thursday, April 21, 2011

Earth Day + May Day = Fabulousness!

I have a confession. I'm not a fan of trash crafts for me. I'm all about using trash items to make crafts with Isabelle - that just makes financial sense and those types of projects don't need to last more than a day. But when it comes to making a gift or something for the home - I'm a snob.. Until today!

CSI's theme this week was all about reuse/recycle in honor of Earth Day. I searched my studio high and low. I came up with fabric remnants, an old yarn spool, and a Rx container. Sounds like the start of a bad joke, right? For some reason I've been keeping my plastic Rx containers for a craft, and this one is perfect!


And what we will be making with my treasures?
A shabby chic May Day door vase!

Don't you just love it?? It reminds me a sunny parasol. It's super easy to make and no one would ever guess it came from items that would have otherwise been trash.

What will you need?
*fabric strips
*a tall Rx plastic bottle
*a yarn cone

How long will you need?
less than an hour

What do you do?
1.) Cut your fabric into strips and run them through your ruffler. Don't have a ruffler? Well immediately put it on your to-buy list and in the mean time you can do a basting stitch down the center of the strips and gather.

2.) Roll a few of the strips up to create shabby roses.

3.) Hot glue a ruffle strip across the wide top of the yarn cone - this will be the handle.
Hot glue the remaining ruffles around the cone in your desired pattern.
Hot glue shabby roses to the top.

4.) Place Rx bottle in cone and fill with water. Add flowers and enjoy!
Pretty ol' flowers from my own garden...
And you can push the handle to the back and use it as table vase.

Love it! And if this dumpster craft snob thinks that it's adorable, I'm guessing you do too..


Visit thecsiproject.com

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I love it, it is so pretty!

.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...