Wednesday, April 27, 2011

WoW 17 - Details for #18

For this week's WoW, I challenged you to do something better for the Earth. Any type of recycling, upcycling, planting a tree, etc.. As artists we have the skills to look beyond an item's face value and find something more. We have the skills to create items that many people have to purchase.

If you have toddlers, you probably own stock in Ziplocs. You need them for everything! I get pretty tired of buying them every week and we finally bought a HUGE box of the sandwich size ones at Costco. Ugh - what a waste of money and detriment to the environment!

I had seen tons of the fabric reusable bags on Etsy for awhile now, and thought that would be a great start to end our excess of plastic. Here is the pattern I found online and used for this project. Really great pattern and took me minutes to whip up. Here is my Nemo inspired reusable snack bag- perfect size to hold goldfish crackers!



Isn't it adorable? Seriously took me less than 30 minutes to make this. I'm going to sit down this summer and plow through a ton. They are fabulous for playdates and to pack in Isabelle's lunch box.

And I had another thought. Just about every toy you buy for toddlers these days comes with a gazillion parts and no bag to store them it. So we buy a TON of gallon sized plastic bags too. I'm going to make these bags a lot larger and I can toss her toys in the them. One for cars, one for doll clothes, etc,..

What did you make for WoW?
Kathleen make these awesome raised flower planters out of unused drain tiles. This is such a creative idea! Never would anyone imagine that those were a recycled craft. I love that these are also raised beds - I hear that helps a lot with gardening. Love them Kathleen!


WoW Challenge #18
Where would be without our dear Mothers?
With Mother's Day just around the corner, let's celebrate those amazing women that helped us along the way. It can be in honor of your mother, grandmother, godmother, or any woman that may have filled that role in your life.

Want to join in on the WoW challenge?
Post your project to linky tool below before midnight (MTN) of next Tuesday.
Want more details on WoW - go here.

Linking Up To:

2 comments:

Gingham Skies said...

Oh Goldfish how we love thee. I wish I had bought stocks in those little suckers. Great fabric choice!
Love these little bags and will definitely make a few for the Rockstar - did you line with cotton? I've read that PUL isn't food safe and am not sure what to use in place of it.

Gingham Skies said...

P.S. You might want to check out this great tutorial for your toy storage bags: http://www.made-by-rae.com/2011/02/guest-tutorial-toy-bags-from-zaaberry.html

.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...