Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Restoration Hardware Knock It Off - Monogram Rug

Time for me to jump on a blog trend craze - painting rugs! Rugs can be soo expensive, but they add so much to a room or even a patio. Painting an inexpensive rug is the perfect answer for those looking to update their home without dropping a bundle. Today, I'm going to show you how I spent $31.00 to make a rug inspired by the one below with a *sale* price of $79 at Restoration Hardware.


Materials needed:
Egeby rug from Ikea - I cut mine in half so I had two rugs in the end
2 sample paint jars of Martha Stewart latex wall paint - a pink and brown
(you can buy these at Home Depot - they will mix the colors to your preference)
painting tape and brushes
*a little bit of brown spray paint
vinyl monogram stencil

How long you will need:
2-3 hours

What do you do:
1.) I cut my rug in half and removed the binding. (I used the other rug for another knock off project that I will feature later this month)

2.)I masked off the center rectangle with painter's tape. I measured the sides to be sure that is was pretty accurate.


3.) With a mini roller, I did a couple coats of pink latex paint for the middle rectangle.

Here it is finished - looking great!
4.) The next part I don't have pictures for.. I used the chocolate paint and did a couple coats on the border. For some reason the border was a lot harder than the inner rectangle. I didn't have a mini roller & pan for the brown, and used brushes instead. Bad mistake. I highly recommend getting roller & pan set for each color you use - they were less than $2 at Home Depot and make a huge difference. I ended up using some left over spray paint to even out the color on the border.


5.) I then used my Pazzle electronic cutter to cut a vinyl stencil out for the monogram. Now the vinyl won't stick great, so just go slow when you paint. I used a foam brush and heavily painted the monogram.


And that's it! I love it! It's going to go in Juliette's room under her crib - just like they have pictured at Restoration Hardware.
I hope you are inspired to try to paint a rug this summer. I'll be honest there is a learning curve and I did utter some unsavory words, but I really love my rug.

Have questions? Just holler!
Have a Knock It Off suggestion? Please let me know!

Next week we will be making this beauty.... I'll show how to make the rose petal one and give suggestions on variations for boys.

Linking Up To:

5 comments:

Rachel said...

That is a great idea for a nursery! I think it would be fun in the kitchen too.

Kathleen said...

Love your rug. And I can't wait to see how the spiral one turns out.

Gingham Skies said...

I've been considering jumping on the painted rug band wagon also. Cutting the Ikea rug in half is a great idea that I might borrow. I wonder how latex paint would hold up on a rug used in a high traffic area - any thoughts?

Nicole@Thrifty Decorating said...

This is amazing! Thanks so much for linking up! :) You should submit this to the website Knock Off Decor to get featured!

Mrs.B said...

awesome job...so want to try this!

.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...